Saturday, July 26, 2014

Why are the top rock bands of all time from the UK? And what are the top-10 American rock bands?

Last night at dinner, a buddy of mine recalled a conversation he’d had with his brother-in-law a while ago.  Both music lovers, my buddy was trying to make a point about great rock music – or lack thereof with origins in the United States. 

He asked his brother-in-law, “Name your top 10 rock bands of all time.” 

The brother-in-law responded:

“We’ll start with Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, and probably the Stones.”

“Ok, good ones.  British, British, British,” my buddy said. 

“And then maybe the Who, Pink Floyd, and U2?”

“English, English, and Irish. And it’s your list so I won’t bother to debate you.”

“I’d probably put AC/DC and the Police in there,” said his brother-in-law, obviously a big fan of classic rock.

“Sure thing – English and English.”

“What’s your point with this?”

“Almost all the best rock bands from all time are from somewhere outside the United States.  How come we don’t have GREAT rock bands?”

“Well what about Bob Marley and the Wailers?  They weren’t English.”

“No, but they were from Jamaica, not the U.S.”

‘Elvis – one of the best every.”

“Elvis wasn’t a band, he was a solo artist.  Doesn’t count.”

“What about Rush?”

“Canada.”

They went on and on – Queen, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Fleetwood Mac.  Finally the list of all-time great rock bands shifted within American borders when Metallica came up.

“Definitely one of the top rock bands ever – probably top 5.”

They compiled their list of all-time best rock bands and surprisingly, only Metallica made the list.  (Again, this is all debatable but they were old-school classic rock and metal fans.)  When my friend told me about this conversation at dinner, I threw my choices in the ring:

1. Metallica

2. The Red Hot Chili Peppers (one of my all-time favs.)

3. Nirvana (They might be my #2 but their body of work was cut short.)

4. Bruce Springsteen (Really a one-man show, but we’ll give credence to the E-Street band.)

5. The Doors (Now that’s a true rock band!)

6. Guns and Roses (Ditto!)

7. Journey (Although some would argue that San Francisco isn't really the United States.)

8. Bon Jovi (If I’m counting The Boss then we’ll sneak Bon Jovi onto the list.)

9. The Grateful Dead

10. Pearl Jam (I’m not a big fan but I respect them.)

Who am I forgetting?  What bands would be on your all-time top 10?  And why are so many real bands from England and so few from the U.S.? 











No comments:

Post a Comment